Pulmonary Function Test
Breathing test to find out how well you move air in and out of your lungs and how well oxygen enters you body. This is measured by having you breathe into a mouthpiece connected to a machine while wearing nose clips so all your breath is measured.
The test should take approximately 30 to 60 minutes depending on the results and what your physician has ordered.
You may also be given an aerosol treatment during the test containing a medication called a bronchodilator. Some of the tests may be repeated after the medication to see if there any changes or improvements in lung function.
Bronchoprovocation (Methacholine) Challenge
A specialized pulmonary function test. Challenge tests or challenge studies are types of tests that measure if your lung function changes after you breathe in measured concentrations of a specific substance. The most common substance used is Methacholine.
A challenge test may be done to see if you have asthma or how well your asthma medicine is working.
The test should take approximately 2 hours or possibly less depending on the results.
Arterial Blood Gas Study
A small sample of artery blood is used to determine how well your lungs are bringing in oxygen and getting rid of carbon dioxide. The test should take approximately 30 minutes or less.
Pulse Oximetry with and without Exercise
- Pulse oximetry is a way to measure how much oxygen your blood in carrying without using a needle.
- Pulse oximetry may be ordered with or without exercise.
- Please wear comfortable shoes and clothing for pulse oximetry with exercise if ordered.
- Without exercise the test should take approximately 15 minutes.
- With exercise the test should take approximately 45 minutes.
Location & Hours
Western Reserve Hospital Diagnostic Center - 1st Floor
1900 23rd Street, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
By appointment only: (330) 971-7496
Pulmonary Function Lab Hours
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Arterial Blood Gas Lab Hours
- Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m.